14 June 2011

How not to travel muffins...

Whilst feeling very clever from the success of the muffins I took to the Polo Nationals I decided it would be good planning to bake a second batch of muffins for Giles to have for breakfast during ourcycle trip (Oxford to Padstow in 4 days, casual...) so did some baking the night before we left and made some dried fruit, lemon and oat muffins.

I adapted the standard muffin recipe I like to use: 200 g self-raising flour
                                                                                100 g oats whizzed in the food processer
                                                                                1/2 tsp baking powder
                                                                                1 medium egg
                                                                                175ml milk
                                                                                125ml vegetable oil
                                                                                pinch salt
                                                                                150g sugar
- sieve flours and add sugar and salt
- mix egg, milk and oil together and add to the dry ingredients
- mix until just combined and add flavouring; I used the grated rind of 1 lemon and some raisins
Bake at 180 C for 20 mintues


But what I failed to plan was how they would travel; wrapping them in silver foil and popping them into a bag with 2 jars of peanut butter and a sleeping bag didn't suit them very well.



Whoops...

I did make some energy bars that did travel well and did get eaten before I took a photo of them which were adapted from the basic flapjack recipe I like.
2 oz butter (I used margarine so I could eat them)
2 oz peanut butter
2 oz demerara sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp treacle
6 oz oats
- melt the butter, peanut butter, syrups and sugar and add the dry ingredients
- I added 2 mashed bananas into the mix before pressing it into the 8" square tin.
Bake at 180 C for 20 mintues.

No comments:

Post a Comment